If you're interested in training for or holding a Rolling Thunder® contest, here are the rules:
1. An authentic current-model IronMind® Rolling Thunder® handle must be used, it cannot have been modified in any way, and it must be inspected to ensure that it revolves freely
: holding the handle, lift the triangular metal frame and rotate it until it is horizontal (parallel to the ground). Release the metal frame to demonstrate that it rotates back to its original vertical position (pointing toward the ground) under its own weight. The lift starts with the weight in between the lifter’s feet, using an IronMind 15" Olympic loading pin and carabiner. The Rolling Thunder must be wiped clean before each attempt.
2. The lifter grabs the Rolling Thunder handle in approximately its center and lifts with the handle remaining approximately parallel to the ground. A thumbless grip is not permitted.
3. Any contact between the lifter's hand and the non-revolving portion of the handle disqualifies the lift; and other than incidental contact, the hand or Rolling Thunder handle must not touch the body before the lift is completed—dragging the hand or handle up the leg is cause for an immediate "No lift."
4. The lifter must fully straighten up (back erect, legs and hips locked out); once standing straight, the lifter must maintain control of the lift for 1 second before getting a down signal from the referee, and must then return the weight to the ground. Contact must be maintained between the lifter's hand and the Rolling Thunder® handle until the weight is resting on the floor. The referee then indicates whether the lift was passed or not.
5. In contest situations, the lifter is given 1 minute to complete the lift after his/her name is called; during that minute, there is no limit to how many times the lifter may try to complete the lift.
6. Ordinary chalk (magnesium carbonate) may be used on the lifter's hand, but nothing else is permitted (liquid chalk, for example, is specifically disallowed). Chalk may not be applied directly to the Rolling Thunder.
Print out a copy of the Rules and Referee Form
and take it with you to your official attempt. The referee will complete the form and return it to us.
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions.