World’s Strongest Man (WSM) competitor Tom Stoltman set a new world record on the Ardblair Stone at the IHGF Stones of Strength, Scottish Nationals Qualifier.
World’s Strongest Man (WSM) competitor Tom Stoltman set a new world record on the Ardblair Stone at the IHGF Stones of Strength, Scottish Nationals Qualifier, held at the Kirriemuir Agricultural Show. IronMind® | Photo courtesy of Charlie Blair Oliphant
2019 Kirriemuir Agricultural Show: World Record on Ardblair Stones
by Francis Brebner
President, International Highland Games Federation (IHGF)
There was some changeable weather at the 2019 Kirriemuir Agricultural Show, organised by the Kirriemuir District Agricultural Association. This didn’t prevent Tom Stoltman from establishing a new world record on the Ardblair Stones, however. With about 2,500 people in attendance, over one hundred attempts were made on the Ardblair Stones in the fourth qualifier for the International Highland Games Federation Stones of Strength Scottish National Finals, which will be held at the Blairgowrie & Rattray Highland Games on Sunday, 8 September 2019.
1. Tom Stoltman, strongman from Invergordon, Scotland: 9 stones in a world record time of 22.18 sec.
2. Janis Skujins, from Glencarse, Scotland: 9 stones in 26.06 sec.
3. Luke “The Highland Oak” Stoltman, strongman from Tomich, Scotland: 9 stones in 32.94 sec.
4. Shane Esplin, from Forfar, Scotland: 8 stones in 36.34 sec.
5. Gavin Bruce, from Turriff, Scotland: 8 stones in 1 min. 36 sec.
1. Pavlina Peru Thomson, from Alyth, Scotland: 5 stones in 16.32 sec.
2. Stacey Louise Douglas, from Coupar Angus, Scotland: 5 stones in 38.14 sec.
3. Leonie Eppy, from Dundee, Scotland: 4 stones in 12.38 sec.
4. Ruth Massey, from Turriff, Scotland: 4 stones in 14.61 sec.
5. Kushi Stoltman, from Tomich, Scotland: 4 stones in 14.71 sec.
6. Nikita Wilkie, from Luthermuir, Scotland: 4 stones in 18.08 sec.
Congratulations to T. Stoltman, L. Stoltman, Leonie Eppy, Kushi Stoltman and Nikita Wilkie for successfully qualifying for the IHGF Stones of Strength Scottish National Finals!
Thanks to Anna Robertson for inviting the Ardblair stones to be a major feature of the Kirriemuir Agricultural Show, and to our sponsor, Castle Water, and their representative Jeannine McVean for presenting the trophies. IHGF representative for Scotland Charlie Blair Oliphant is doing an outstanding job in Scotland promoting the ancient customs of stonelifting, inspiring not only the younger generation of stonelifters, but also the men and woman of all Scotland. The next qualifier will be at the 2019 Donald Dinnie Day “The Gathering” on Sunday, 4 August.
You can also follow IronMind on Twitter, Instagram and on Facebook.
Want to talk grip, strongman, weightlifting . . . everything strength? Visit the IronMind Forum.