No rafters handy for pinch-grip chins and maybe not even some smooth-sided plates for pinch gripping?
No problem—here's a way to build and test your pinch grip. It's perfect for maximum lifts and holds—for variety, try strolling with it—and even lateral raises.
The harder you squeeze, the stronger you'll get.
IronMind Blockbuster Pinch Grip Block Men's World Record*
|Harri Tolonen||September 10, 2017||48.6 kg (107.14 lb.)|
|Harri Tolonen||September 10, 2017||47.6 kg (104.94 lb.)|
|Thomas Larsen||January 7, 2017||46.6 kg (102.73 lb.)|
|Jacob Sahlaney¹||April 9, 2016||45.4 kg (100.24 lb.)|
|Thomas Larsen||January 16, 2016||39.3 kg (86.64 lb.)|
|Kody Burns||February 15, 2015||36.2 kg (79.8 lb.)|
*The minimum increment for breaking a world record is 1 kg, effective January 1, 2015
1 Jacob Sahlaney broke the world record on each of his first three attempts [88.87 lb. (40.31 kg), 92.68 lb. (42.03 kg), 95.11 lb. (43.14 kg)], and again on his fourth attempt [100.24 lb. (45.4 kg)].
IronMind Blockbuster Pinch Grip Block Women's World Record
|Rebecca Roberts||May 13, 2017||31.55 kg (69.4 lb)|
|Elizabeth Horne||September 11, 2016||27.9 kg (61.5 lb.)|
IronMind Blockbuster Pinch Grip Block Contest Rules
1) The IronMind Blockbuster Pinch Grip Block ("Blockbuster") must be an authentic current-model IronMind Enterprises, Inc. Block; it cannot have been modified or tampered with in any way.
2) Ordinary chalk (magnesium carbonate) may be used on the lifting hand, but nothing else is permitted (liquid chalk, for example, is specifically disallowed).
3) Weight is hung from the Blockbuster using an IronMind 15" Olympic loading pin and carabiner.
4) The lifter grabs the Blockbuster in approximately its center and lifts with the Block remaining approximately parallel to the ground. A thumbless grip is not permitted..
5) The lifter must fully straighten up (back erect, legs and hips locked out); once standing straight, the lifter must maintain control of the lift for 1 second before getting a down signal from the referee, and must then return the weight to the ground. Contact must be maintained between the lifter's hand and the Blockbuster until the weight is resting on the floor. The referee then indicates whether the lift was passed or not.
6) In contest situations, the lifter is given 1 minute to complete the lift after his/her name is called; during that minute, there is no limit to how many times the lifter may try to complete the lift.
*The minimum increment for breaking a world record is 1 kg, effective January 1, 2015.
See also IronMind's grip contest rules for extra attempts.