IronMind's Apollon's Axle: not just the original—it debuted in 1994—but the best known and most widely used thick bar in top-tier strongman and grip competitions.
Mike Burke leads everyone on the Apollon's Axle Double Overhand Deadlift—a staple test in the grip strength world. 237.5 kg on the bar and Mike Burke pulled it the distance to break his own world record at the 2014 Los Angeles FitExpo. IronMind® | Randall J. Strossen photo.
Apollon's Axle Double Overhand Deadlift Rules
- A genuine IronMind Apollon's Axle must be used, along with full-sized plates (discs) that are the standard IWF/IPF diameter (450 mm).
- The plates must either be calibrated or have been weighed on a proven scale.
- Time starts when the Apollon's Axle is loaded; the athletes have 30 seconds to begin the lift.
- No grip aids other than chalk allowed. Ordinary chalk (magnesium carbonate) may be used on the lifter's hands, but nothing else is permitted (liquid chalk, for example, is specifically disallowed).
- The Apollon's Axle must be gripped with the knuckles on both hands facing forward (away from the body) with a double overhand grip.
- Thumbless and hook gips are prohibited.
- The lifter must fully straighten up (back erect, legs and hips locked out); once standing straight, the lifter must maintain control of the lift for 1 second before getting a down signal from the referee, and must then return the weight to the ground. Contact must be maintained between the lifter's hand and the Axle until the weight is resting on the floor. The referee then indicates whether the lift was passed or not.
- IPF powerlifting rules define the key guidelines: resting the Axle on the thighs or any downward movement will disqualify the lift, as would failure to await the down signal or dropping the bar. A sumo style is permitted and the feet may move after the lifter has received the down signal.
See also IronMind's grip contest rules for extra attempts.
Apollon's Axle World Records
Men's Double Overhand Deadlift
|Mike Burke||January 26, 2014||237.5 kg (523 lb.)|
|Mike Burke||January 20, 2013||234 kg (516 lb.)|
|Mike Burke||January 20, 2013||230 kg (507 lb.)|
|Rich Williams||June 26, 2010||228 kg (502 lb.)|
Women's Double Overhand Deadlift
|Amy Wattles||July 13, 2014||131 kg (289 lb.)|
|Amy Wattles||June 30, 2013||130 kg (286 lb.)|
In her excitement at easily pulling this 131-kg Apollon’s Axle Double Overhand Deadlift, Amy Wattles dropped the bar after completing the lift and so got it turned down and had to repeat. Not a problem, though, as she did it again, and restamped her name on one of the most prestigious world records in the grip strength world. IronMind® | Randall J. Strossen photo.